Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Interesting. I don't know the specifics of what is required for the UN to send in peace keepers to stop a genocide. I would like to know more.

Also interesting, Adorno in 1949 when 'genocide' is given a meaning for the purposes of international law. Of course, one needs such a concept, even Adorno would admit, but why has this played out exactly as he anticipated?

"...but by being codified... the unspeakable was made, for the sake of protest, commensurable. By its elevation to a concept, its possibility is virtually recognised: an institution to be forbidden, rejected, discussed. One day negotiations will take place in the forum of the United Nations on whether some new atrocity comes under the heading of genocide, whether nations have a right to intervene that they do not want to exercise in any case, and whether in view of the unforeseen difficulty of applying it in practice the whole concept of genocide should be removed from the statutes. Soon afterwards there are inside-page headlines in journalese: East Turkestan genocide programme nears completion." (1949)
(New Left Review Issue 200, p6).

1 comment:

post festum said...

I have a few books at the office, Post Tot. From what I remember the language is surprising unambiguous. I'll post what I find when I can.