Thursday, February 16, 2006

Cheney setting up own defense in Libby indictment.
The question is totally out of left field, too. Every question up to that point is about hunting, shooting people in the face, drinking at lunch, etc. Why would Brit Hume ask this unless he was told to by the VP's handlers? I guess one might argue he's just being "fair and balanced." "See I'm really truly a legitimate journalist. I ask the tough questions."

From the Foxsnews interview:

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, it's brought me great pleasure over the years. I love the people that I've hunted with and do hunt with; love the outdoors, it's part of my heritage, growing up in Wyoming. It's part of who I am. But as I say, the season is ending, I'm going to let some time pass over it and think about the future.

Q On another subject, court filings have indicated that Scooter Libby has suggested that his superiors -- unidentified -- authorized the release of some classified information. What do you know about that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: It's nothing I can talk about, Brit. This is an issue that's been under investigation for a couple of years. I've cooperated fully, including being interviewed, as well, by a special prosecutor. All of it is now going to trial. Scooter is entitled to the presumption of innocence. He's a great guy. I've worked with him for a long time, have enormous regard for him. I may well be called as a witness at some point in the case and it's, therefore, inappropriate for me to comment on any facet of the case.

Q Let me ask you another question. Is it your view that a Vice President has the authority to declassify information?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: There is an executive order to that effect.

Q There is.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Q Have you done it?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I've certainly advocated declassification and participated in declassification decisions. The executive order --

Q You ever done it unilaterally?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I don't want to get into that. There is an executive order that specifies who has classification authority, and obviously focuses first and foremost on the President, but also includes the Vice President.

1 comment:

post festum said...

For posterity's sake, it should be noted that a month later Post Tot's observation here is more true now than ever. With increased revelations over the last month that Cheney selectively declassified documents for Libby to offer to folks like Miller, this exchange with Brit Hume seems ridiculously like an attempt to get out ahead of the imminent crisis.